At Squirrels&Bears we believe in simplicity and we like to provide clear answers to your questions. In our #howitworks series we focus on simple explanations of various aspects of small business, highlighting the basic facts, what works and what doesn’t work. And we hope to make your life a little easier.
- Reddit is a collection of forums, where people can share news and content or comment on other people’s posts.
- It’s a discussion based platform with user engagement being Reddit’s top priority.
- Reddit has about 51 million unique users and over 1 million communities.
- Across 2018, Reddit saw 153 million submissions, 1.2 billion comments, and 27 billion upvotes from its users.
- Reddit is broken up into over a million communities known as “subreddits,” each covering a different topic.
- The name of a subreddit begins with /r/, which is part of the URLs that Reddit uses.
- There are three main types of posts you can create on Reddit: sharing a link, posting a video, or posting an image.
- When you click on a post, you’ll get taken directly to the original site so Reddit can really boost website traffic.
- Users can click the arrows to up-vote or down-vote posts, increasing or decreasing their visibility. The concept is called karma.
- Target specific subreddits in your industry.
- Participate in ongoing conversations.
- Provide value to the community.
- Submit interesting and helpful posts.
- Optimise your post title to get noticed.
- Consider hosting an “Ask Me Anything (AMA)” on your niche subreddit.
- Overdo it – avoid submitting too many posts and links.
- Use it for self-promotion.
- Submit the same post or comment multiple times to different subreddits.
- Only submit links to your website.
- Ask for up-votes.